Healthy Recipe: White Bean and Tomato Bruschetta Salad
Eating beans as part of a heart healthy diet and lifestyle may help improve your blood cholesterol, a leading cause of heart disease. Adding beans to your diet may help keep you feeling full longer.
Simple Cooking with Heart shows you how to take an Italian bread topping and turn it into a salad with this delicious bean and vegetable recipe!
- 2 small tomatoes (diced)
- OR 16 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (drained, rinsed)
- 1 clove fresh, minced garlic
- OR 1 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 1 green onion (chopped, (green part only)
- 8 oz. canned, low-sodium white beans (such as Cannellini beans), drained, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil (chopped)
- OR 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup low-moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella
- 4 cups mixed greens or arugula
- Combine all ingredients except salad greens and marinate 5-10 minutes.
- Toss with salad greens. Serve chilled.