If you are generally better at taking care of others than you are at taking care of yourself, I hope this article gives you some food for thought.
One of the biggest challenges we face in modern times is dealing with stress. The advances of technology have created even more stress, both good and bad. We live such fast-paced lives now, compared to even just one generation ago.
The key to dealing with stress and taking better care of yourself is to maintain a positive attitude. This is often easier said than done, so here are ten tips to make this season more manageable.
- Breathe. Taking a few slow, deep breaths helps your body relax and let go of stress.
- Exercise at least three times per week. Exercise is a healthy habit that relieves stress.
- Choose healthy foods. A balanced low carb diet rich in nutritious proteins, vegetables and fruits will nourish your body and mind.
- Focus on what you are grateful for. A grateful heart is a happy heart.
- Share about your stress. It helps to talk about it with someone who listens.
- Develop a great healthcare team. Get regular checkups with your providers.
- Take “personal” time. For some people, this means making time for a personal hobby. For others, “you time” means taking time from your busy schedule to enjoy your own company. For some, meditation or prayer can be spiritually uplifting and renewing.
- Say no when you’re asked to take on too much. Self-care is being self-responsible.
- Do what makes you happy. Taking care of yourself is not selfish. It is not only good for you; it prepares you to better take care of others.
- Use whatever challenges life brings you as “stepping stones” to lift yourself higher.
Receiving Five Element acupuncture treatments is another great tip for dealing with stress and improving how you care for yourself at a deeper level. At the Acupuncture & Holistic Health Center in Jacksonville, we specialize in this holistic style of acupuncture. Five Element acupuncture treats a wide variety of physical health issues. It also balances your emotions and improves your mental outlook. It’s easy to begin your journey towards better self-care by scheduling an acupuncture balancing treatment. Simply call our office at (904) 296-9545.
Above all, please be patient with yourself as you begin to use these self-care tips. It takes practice to become a good self-care manager. Happy practicing!