National Salad Month Recipe: Quinoa Salad
It’s National Salad Month, so be sure to eat a green salad every day! Try this Quinoa Salad with Strawberries, Almonds and Mint. Quinoa is a complete protein and a great addition to any salad. Enjoy those strawberries before they go out of season with this refreshing salad.
Recipe adapted from Pure Wow and Mette Williams, Culina
Makes 6 side dish servings
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 tablespoons almond oil
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar (can substitute white balsamic vinegar)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 strawberries, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- ½ English cucumber, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced mint leaves
- Optional: Top with goat or vegan cheese
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan set over high heat. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed all the water, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spread the quinoa out to cool to room temperature.
- While the quinoa cools, make the dressing by whisking the almond oil with the olive oil, champagne vinegar and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once the quinoa is cool, place in a medium bowl and combine with the strawberries, almonds, cucumber, parsley and mint. Re-whisk the dressing and pour it over the salad. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve.